SafBrew™ BR-8 is the first Brettanomyces bruxellensis yeast available to brewers in a dry microgranular format.
It offers all the flavor benefits of ‘wild’ Brett yeast, but with more control and reliability, eliminating the risk of over-carbonation and gushing after bottling.
Selected specifically for secondary fermentation in bottles or casks, SafBrew™ BR-8 produces phenolic compounds that create a distinctive finishing touch which evolves over time as the beer is aged, with funkier notes (barnyard, horse, leather…) nicely balanced by refreshing, fruity notes.
SafBrew™ BR-8 produces phenolic compounds that create a distinctive finishing touch which evolves over time as the beer is aged, with funkier notes (barnyard, horse, leather…) nicely balanced by refreshing, fruity notes.
SafBrew™ BR-8 is used in a secondary fermentation, the wort alcohol concentration is too high to pitch directly. Direct pitching might affect the yeast’s efficiency. Therefore, we recommend rehydrating SafBrew™ BR-8 before using.
- Sprinkle the yeast in at least 10 times its weight of sterile water at a temperature of 25°C to 29°C (77°F to 84.2°F).
- Leave to rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Gently stir until obtaining a yeast cream before pitching it into beer.
- Add 5 to 10 grams of sugar per liter of beer (0.67 to 1.3 oz/gal) to obtain an additional saturation of 2.5 to 5.0 g/L of CO2 (0.33 to 0.67 oz/gal of CO2).
- Pitch the sweetened beer at fermentation temperature with the rehydrated yeast.
- Carbonation will be achieved in 1 to 3 months of maturation.
- At the end of refermentation, the beer can be cooled down and will gain in roundness after 2 to 3 weeks.
The primary fermentation is very important to allow the typical funky flavors of SafBrew™ BR-8 to develop correctly. We recommend using a maltotriose-positive yeast (a yeast strain able to assimilate maltotriose), otherwise, the residual sugars concentration would be too high at the end of the primary fermentation.
Homebrewers are known for their creativity and experimentation when it comes to brewing beer. SafBrew™ BR-8 is a great tool to create unique beers and to push the boundaries of traditional styles with new and exciting flavors. At Fermentis, this creativity and passion are what drive us to continue providing brewers with high-quality yeast!